This would have been written New Years Day were it not for the extreme hangover I had suffered. Regardless, I consulted the Druid Animal Oracle for my yearly focus.
Of dragons and potential
Last year’s card signified 2016 as being a year for discovering my inner potential power, it was not wrong! Last year I had:
- Successfully auditioned for the part of Watson in a comedy version of Conan Doyle’s Hound of the Baskervilles.
- Performed two theatre plays back to back.
- Provided the voice for the ‘Where Witchcraft Lives’ exhibit in Brighton.
- Learned a great deal of my strengths and weaknesses.
- Found my place in my day-job and I’m fine with it!
- Became a member of a brand new theatrical events group.
- Completed my Bardic course and review.
- Completed my Ovate initiation just in time for Yuletide.
- Learned what my acting type is.
- Discovered where I went wrong in my marriage.
- Cut my long hair off in the name of charity.
So yes, quite a lot, really!
Eyes in the night
And where does my focus lie for 2017? The card drawn for this year is Owl, or Cailleach Oidhche . The card for detachment, wisdom and change. It speaks of turning a disadvantage into an advantage, also it signifies a call to explain the Otherworld with studying esoteric lore and clairvoyancy. Not sure about speaking with the dead, but seeming as I will be beginning my journey into the world of the Ovate (mystic, seer, healer) this is apt indeed.
I am aware of the Owl being named as one of the oldest creatures of the Earth, according to one of the tales of the Mabinogion. In another tale, it is the final form inflicted upon Blodeuedd by the sorcerer Gwydion. Owl is also associated with the Cailleach, although which specific one, I am not sure. Either way, both Owl, the Cailleach and studying esoteric lore are to be treated with respect.