I’ve deleted drafts of posts that never saw the light of the internet day, but never have I deleted an actual post…. Especially the morning after a night of drinking with friends and finding I wrote an entire post whilst being drunk!
I had even given it the phrase “Will regret this in the morning.” Boy, was I right. I was not proud of it at all, embarrassed would be more accurate.
It wasn’t an insightful piece, it was one of those drunken rants you get that only makes sense when you are surrounded by other drunks ranting in a similar fashion.
Basically, a friend of mine told me I was ‘distrustful of women’ and the whole flavour of the post was about how this was THE TRUTH and went on about broken hearts, gathering pieces of that heart and other self wallowing crap my inebriated mind came up with. To my credit, I built my self up in the post and argued my case about how actually awesome and amazing I am.
One reader even commented in prose about how we all get knocked, so let’s get up and have fun. Thanks LittleWolf! And yes, my head was sore! And guess what, I don’t distrust women at all.
So, this got me thinking:
We punish ourselves a lot, don’t we? At least, I do anyway. We are quick to saying how we can’t do this, that or the other. How easy is it for us to rail against the world instead of doing something about it?
Yes, we do get knocked, yes, bad things happen, yes we get our hearts broken. But if we let these things consume us, we become bitter, angry and resentful. I don’t know about you, but I think life is too short for that shit. However, it is long enough for us to enjoy, to share and to love, whatever the form takes.
When you are next feeling down, or in a situation where you feel powerless, I have some suggestions which may help:
- As Xena Warrior Princess once said: Act don’t react.
- If you are in a situation that gets you down, what can you do to change it?
- Remember all your victories, however grand or small, you’ve come this far.
- Learn from your mistakes and use them to bring out more of your best self.
- Accept responsibility for your actions, you make and made your choices, own them, don’t let them own you!*
- Love yourself, do something just for you, you do indeed deserve it.
- Keep being awesome.
- Trust your gut, if it feels bad, stay the hell away.
- Use the powers of “Yes” and “No” respectively.
- See number 7. Always number 7.
- Don’t lose your cool. Don’t let those assholes let you lose your shit.
And my new lesson: when drunk stay AWAY from using your WordPress account!
*And yet, by deleting the drunken post I am contradicting this with the suggestion of number 2…… Not sure how I feel about that.